RE: Validator Testing Request

2005-08-08 08:24:00
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Herb
Martin
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 10:40 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Validator Testing Request

I'm tempted to take off the note that says it doesn't support
macros, but I'd appreciate some additional testing first.

I cannot help with the macros (sorry) but my domain gives this
(final) result after resolving part of my (fairly complex) SPF:

(Top dialog): learnquick.com
Does my domain already have an SPF record? What is it? Is it valid?
<some results>
evaluating...
Results - PermError SPF Permanent Error: Too many DNS lookups

My zone has passed other validators -- would you please tell me
if this is an issue with your validator, my records, or even
if valid are my records just too complicated for my own good?

WAY to complicated for your own good.

(Second dialog): learnquick.com
Is this SPF record valid - syntactically correct?
Internal Server Error  (and request to contact you, or literally
"webmaster")

That was my fault.  It's fixed now.  I just switched to a new FTP client and
I'm discovering today that it's automatic detection for text/binary transfer
is broken.  Ugh.

(Third dialog) -- Test an SPF record
64.202.167.108
learnquick.com
herbm(_at_)learnquick(_dot_)com
k2smtpout02-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net

Gives errors which include:
HELO/EHLO Results - Permanent Error SPF Permanent Error: Invalid SPF record
in: learnquick.com

The 2nd line in that last test is meant for if you want to test a different
record than the one that is currently published in DNS.  When you put
learnquick.com in that line, it tried to interpret that as an SPF record
(and of course, it's not).

Leaving that blank gives you:

Input accepted, querying now...

Mail sent from: 64.202.167.108
Mail from (Sender): herbm(_at_)learnquick(_dot_)com

Results - PASS sender SPF authorized

Mail sent from: 64.202.167.108
Mail Server HELO/EHLO identity: k2smtpout02-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net

HELO/EHLO Results - none

In your case that means that particular IP address matched before it hit the
processing limits.

Using spfquery (from CPAN Perl SPF module install) returns: PASS
spfquery -ip 64.202.167.108 -helo
k2smtpout02-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
-sender herbm(_at_)learnquick(_dot_)com
pass

As Stuart says, the currently published Mail::SPF::Query uses older, more
generous processing limits.  pySPF by default uses the ones specified in the
internet draft that is set to become an experimental RFC.

A revised Mail::SPF::Query that conforms to the current draft is going to be
released soon.

Scott K