Re: Transfer of the 'OpenSPF.org' domain name

2005-08-09 23:53:51

James Couzens wrote:
I have committed a transfer of the 'OpenSPF.org' domain name using the
following registrant information:

Thank you very much for donating the domain!

I am sorry for the delay.
[...]
At any rate, again everyone, I'm sorry for the hold up, but I'm just
another unpaid volunteer who has expended a lot of time, money, and
energy into this project.  Its a shame that those who should know this
better than anyone are the first to jump on the "James' words are
worthless" wagon.

I hope you realize that there is no way whatsoever for us to recognize a
difference between you disappearing due to important events in your life
and you disappearing due to disinterest or a personal grudge.  I fully
understand that sometimes other things can be more important than spending
10 minutes to perform some planned task or even 5 minutes to notify those
who are waiting for you.  However, you should be aware that such a sudden
and long-lasting disappearance _does_ come over as rude, no matter what
your reasons are.

So, shit has happened, and now you have sent an apology, so I think we
should move on...

And I responded accordingly:
[...]

As you can see, all I asked is that Wayne IMPROVE the wording on
libspf2.org linking to my site as I felt the wording that was previously
there (Wayne would rather remove the link entirely than actually grant
me that courtesy) was insulting.  That an a link to my personal site.
It appears that neither request will be granted, even the latter once
given the myriad of other domain names involved, even though its been
voted that mine will be the one to be used, it appears as though there
is not enough room on the page to meet this request. [...]

...however, this allegation needs to be put into perspective.

On 2005-07-22, I sent you the following message, but I never received a
reply:

| Hi James.
|
| I would like to enquire about the status of the transfer of the
| openspf.org domain to the SPF project's appointed trustee, i.e. Wayne.
|
| As for your requests:
| > I would like to request that you do the following two things, both of
| > which I believe to be fair requests on my part, and secondly, I'll
| > state that regardless of your acceptance of either or both I shall be
| > true to my word and finalize the transfer the domain name over once I
| > can confirm its all working properly.
| >
| > #1. Change the wording on the libspf2.org website where libSPF is
| > referenced inappropriately as "older".  I should like to think you are
| > capable of providing something vastly more appropriate such as:
| >
| > * libSPF - ANSI C implementation supporting qmail, Sendmail, Postfix
| > and Exim.
|
| Strictly, libspf2.org is not related to the SPF project, but I think
| Wayne already promised to look into it.
|
| > #2. This one should probably go before the council.
| >
| > I would appreciate linkage to "http://6o4.ca"; much like the Mozilla
| >
| > Foundation did when they were given "firefox.com" by Kevin Karpenske:
| > | Thanks for the Domain Name, Kevin!
| > | The Mozilla Foundation thanks Kevin Karpenske, the previous owner of
| > | the Firefox.com domain, for generously having transferred this
| > | domain to our use for the Firefox web browser. Kevin's site can now
| > | be found at Quailish.com
| >
| > Thank you in advance for your consideration of these requests.
|
| We discussed this at the last council meeting.  Our conclusion was that
| in general your request is fair, and that a visible acknowledgement for
| the donors of the domains shall be placed on the upcoming new website.
| The acknowledgement will certainly not be as highly prominent as that on
| firefox.com, though.
|
| So, is there anything else that needs to be done from the council's side
| before you start the domain transfer?
|
| If no, when can we expect the transfer to start?
|
| Thanks in advance,
| Julian,
| SPF Council Member.

If you deliberately ignored that message, please don't say things like:

It appears that neither request will be granted, even the latter once
given the myriad of other domain names involved, even though its been
voted that mine will be the one to be used, it appears as though there
is not enough room on the page to meet this request.

Thank you.

Julian,
SPF Council Member.