Re: Re: SPF implementations

2005-08-16 06:56:24
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:

If only ISPs would start to offer SMTP with TLS or SSL. As it is I either have to run my own mail server (on a dynamic ip, through an ADSL line) or use whatever SMTP server is available at wherever i connect when I'm travelling. If the SMTP server at "wherever I connect" starts enforcing consistency on headers in emails exiting their network, I sincerely hope my own ISP will let me start logging into their (MY! ) SMTP server through some secure method. The worst case would be strict egress filtering + no SSL or TLS login available + recipients dumping mail sent directly from dynamic IP-adresses. That would really s*ck.

For outgoing mail (as opposed to internal office memos), TLS is not
necessary. Your email is unecrypted anyway once it leaves the MTA and goes into the wild, wild internet.

Eh? You still want TLS to cover your SMTP AUTH commands i.e. protect your password.