Re: Re: possibilities for 2822

2005-08-24 11:41:23

From: "Frank Ellermann" <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de>

Just like Relaxed provisions in SPF can create spoofers,

We could update that in v=spf1.1:  + HARDPASS, ? SOFTPASS,
~ TESTFAIL, - HARDFAIL, default -all.  With a definition
for "HARDPASS" in the direction of op=auth.  Just an idea.

Possibly.   I would to think about this more.

Don't get me wrong. SPF is fine. It is what it is.  I am actually thinking
that DKIM can be used to solve the SPF forwarding problem.  This might allow
systems who need a NEUTRAL to continue to use it, as long as they DKIM the
message.  For a system that uses a NEUTRAL, it is going to be further tested
anyway.  A DKIM signed message could resolve a NEUTRAL result because of
forwarding.

DKIM exclusive policies can solve the same problem without
the FORWARDING issue.

Trading it for a mailing list issue.  I hope the DKIM list
finds a robust FWS-canonicalization, it's no rocket science.

Yeah, thats a big one.

Even if a mailing list resigns, it may break the original domain signing
policy.  It raises the issue that the user might be prevented from submitting a
signed message into a list or even that a user might have to use a different
domain that is for signing purposes if its going to be invalidated all the
time.  Thats a big change for users.

It is all pretty simple :-)

Maybe.  I still don't get the idea of "no signing policy =>
everybody can sign what he likes", is that another "opt-out"
stunt ?

It sounds like it.  No doubt, DKIM is being considered by the DMA.