RE: The problems with SPF

2005-08-26 03:47:31

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex van den Bogaerdt
[mailto:alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net]
Sent: 26 August 2005 10:54
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] The problems with SPF

I know there are alot of arguments around this area, and I must
say I do think it is a problem for the adoption of SPF

I can live with that.  Just don't say it is a problem of SPF :)

Seriously: you are right, forwarders are a problem, almost
everybody agrees.
It is just that some people think SPF causes the problem while
others think
SPF only makes the problem visible.

Come up with a good way to distinguish white-hat forgers (aka forwarders)
and black-hat forgers (aka spammers and/or phishers) and who
knows what happens.

Yes, forwarding is the problem and it is SPF that has highlighted the
problem... but it is a problem that is very deep routed now, after years of
people using the system the way they want to.  Even though it may be
technically wrong I can't see a large majority of people changing.

But without this problem being solved I think adoption of SPF will not happen
on a global scale.

There are ways of distinguishing between forwarders (white-hat forgers as you
say) and spammers, and to validate that a message is from the claimed sender...
I have such an idea myself, but these methods do require significant sofware
changes to current MTA's or installation of extra software to provide this
sender validation.  This is something that I think would be very dificult on a
global scale as well.

Dan