Re: [spf-discuss] Politics and the Next Step

2005-09-03 20:48:42

In <200509011255(_dot_)33901(_dot_)jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> Jonathan
Gardner <jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> writes:

[snip]

Lots of good stuff here.  I agree with most of it.  Scott has
commented on a few things that I also agree with.

MARKETING. We need to keep marketing. And the best way is grass-roots. Make
sure you keep preaching the gospel on SPF. I think we need to do some effort
to refine the message we convey, and to come to an agreement over how we are
going to say it. I propose something like "SPF doesn't stop spam, but it is
one of the key steps to solving spam." Or "SPF prevents forgeries." When we
come together as a community and get on the same message and spread that
message throughout the internet and society, we will be heard.

Meng once said something along the lines of "SPF is to stopping spam
as flour is to food."  I like that analogy.  SPF by itself is not
particularly good at stopping spam, although it can.  When combined in
creative ways, it can be a key ingredient.

NEXT STEP. We have to move on to the next step. What is the next step?
Reputation services. I wish I had time to work on this. I'm sure if someone
took the lead some folks from our company would silently contribute to the
effort. What already exists? What are their technical and political
limitations?

Meng has been working hard on the Karma project for quite a while
now.  There is somewhat of a catch-22 here though, since reputation
systems depend on good identities to place reputations on, while SPF
needs a good reputation system in order to fight spam.  Right now,
most reputation systems have been based on the IP address, and the
transition to domain-based reputation systems has been slow.

-wayne