Re: [spf-discuss] Question on a unified policy record approach

2005-09-07 13:40:37
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, paddy wrote:

I realise that parts of the rDNS network are apparently broken, and I suppose
there must be providers who are just plain uncooperative, and I realise that
sometimes there is simply not a choice of provider.

Is there something about the scenario you describe that naturally leads to
the A record owner not having PTR control, or is it more this kind of
broken system/unfriendly provider issue ?

Are you perhaps talking about the kind of asymetric setup where I have a
domain delegated directly to me and I (perhaps even) host the A records,
so I 'directly' control those, but I have to ask my provider to change the
PTR for me (and thus don't have 'direct' control) ?

Yes - the asymetric setup.  When you buy less than 256 IP addresses,
you don't get direct PTR control.  You have to ask your provider
to change them and/or delegate them.  There is no technical
problem - a competent provider will ask you for a nameserver
to delegate your block to.

For instance, if example.com have a static block of 8 addresses,
10.1.2.128/29, a competent provider will have something like this in
their rDNS server:

$ORIGIN 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.
128-135                 IN NS ns.example.com.
$GENERATE 128-135 $     IN CNAME $.128-135.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.

And example.com will have this:

Zonefile: example.com
ns.example.com  IN A 10.1.2.130

Zonefile 10.1.2.128-135:
$ORIGIN 128-135.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.
@       IN NS ns.example.com.
129     IN PTR rtr.example.com.
130     IN PTR ns.example.com.

The current provider for
bmsi.com delegates each IP individually - I have to setup 6 zone
files with 1 PTR each for our 8 address block.

The ISP zonefile looks like this (for the example above):

$ORIGIN 2.1.10.in-addr.arpa.
$GENERATE 128-135 $ IN NS ns.example.com.

But at least they delegate (it is T1 based - so there is some provider
competition).  Most of our customers are not so lucky.