Re: [spf-discuss] Question on a unified policy record approach

2005-09-07 02:12:50
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 01:29:03PM -0700, Dennis Willson wrote:
paddy wrote:
How is it any more or less under the control of the domain owner than
the A record ?

I have boxes with PTR records set (what I hope is) correctly.

Wasn't hard to do.  Certainly felt as much like being in control as
having a DNS domain does ...

Because not all domain owners control the DNS for the IP addresses they
have. While most domain owner can control the forward lookup 'A' record,
the domain owner may not have direct access of the PTR record. In a hosted
mail environment, the domain owner can have a DNS service that allows them
to control their forward lookups. But the company/person that owns the mail
server is probably the one the controls the reverse for the mail server.

Fair enough, apologies for being a bit flip.

Obviously I have little experience to go on, but if I control a static ip
address I want a PTR, even if in the worst case it wasn't one that I chose
(not that it's ever come to that).

I realise that parts of the rDNS network are apparently broken, and I suppose
there must be providers who are just plain uncooperative, and I realise that
sometimes there is simply not a choice of provider.

Is there something about the scenario you describe that naturally leads to
the A record owner not having PTR control, or is it more this kind of
broken system/unfriendly provider issue ?

Are you perhaps talking about the kind of asymetric setup where I have a
domain delegated directly to me and I (perhaps even) host the A records,
so I 'directly' control those, but I have to ask my provider to change the
PTR for me (and thus don't have 'direct' control) ?

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall