[spf-discuss] Re: irc_log.html#20050907T0049

2005-09-06 19:40:55
william(at)elan.net wrote:

they can't rule it out on this issue if I understand IETF
system. IAB appeals are rare thing though

Sure, I just checked it again:  For 2026 6.5.1 (WG disputes)
the IAB decision is final.   Dito for 6.5.2 (process failure).

(on a sitefinder.versisign level),

That was ICANN security advisory comittee (or something like
that named) which shares some people with IAB but is not the
same.

http://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence/2005-09-01-SSAC-response.html
http://www.iab.org/documents/docs/2003-09-20-dns-wildcards.html

finally ISOC for a complete breakdown of all checks and
balances.

I don't see how IAB's decisions can be appealed to ISOC.

That's in 2026 6.5.3 (questions of applicable procedure):

 Further recourse is available only in cases in which the procedures
 themselves (i.e., the procedures described in this document) are
 claimed to be inadequate or insufficient to the protection of the
 rights of all parties in a fair and open Internet Standards Process.
 Claims on this basis may be made to the Internet Society Board of
 Trustees.  The President of the Internet Society shall acknowledge
 such an appeal within two weeks
[...]

In other words if 2026 is so broken to allow e.g. "conflicting
experiments to delete mail" or similar nonsense ISOC could then
tell the IETF where to stuff it.

Courts don't enter the picture
[...]
Yes, please stay away from courts on this matter.

Sure, that's for somebody who lost six figures by this issue -
sooner or later it might happen.  We still have to make sure
that he doesn't sue "us" in this case, for any definition of
"us" we care about (Council, Meng, IETF, ISOC).

                             Bye, Frank