Re: [spf-discuss] Is SRS really necessary?

2005-09-07 13:47:36
Only if domaina.com has SPF records (not all ISPs do... yet).

The other problem is that: If a mailing forwarding service doesn't do SRS then the email would be coming from the email forwarding services mail servers but the from address would be "domaina.com". Since it's normally the receiver side that sets up the use of these type of forwarders, then the send cannot know to include the information in the SPF record for the forwarding company.

An example would be:
I have "domaina.com" hosted at Verisign and setup email forwarding using the email address "me(_at_)domaina(_dot_)com" through them to my ISP email account "me(_at_)isp(_dot_)com". I give out to my friends and so forth the email address "me(_at_)domaina(_dot_)com". One of my friends sends me an email from "them(_at_)senderdomain(_dot_)com" to that address and it goes to Verisign who then forwards it to "me(_at_)domaina(_dot_)com", the senders email server would appear to my ISP as coming from Verisigns server but from the senders domain "senderdomain.com" (who doesn't know that I use a forwarder). My ISP blocks the email because it's not from any server the senders SPF record includes (they would have no way of knowing).

Dennis

gaven(_at_)gavdogg(_dot_)net wrote:
If a domain has its mail sent out by another domain,
wouldn't the "include" parameter of an SPF record negate the
need for SRS?

For example, if "domaina.com" routes outbound mail to
"isp.com" and has an SPF record of "include:isp.com -all"
would that not pass the SPF test when "isp.com" attempts to
deliver "domaina.com"'s messages assuming "isp.com" has a
valid SPF record?

Gaven Henderson