[spf-discuss] Incorporate?

2005-09-07 13:43:09
Continuing on my earlier rant on politics and SPF, I think there is one solid
step we can take that will solve a host of problems.

We must incorporate as a non-profit in the United States.

We can't prosecute the battle for SPF without funds. I am sure our job would
be much easier if we had a million dollar budget, or more. But where can we
get funds from? We have nothing to sell, so we must ask for donations. How
can we get donations? We must inspire confidence in people that spending
their money on SPF will actually bring a positive net benefit to themselves.

People won't donate until they know that they are donating to a legitimate,
state-certified legal organization. With a corporation, there is something to
hold accountable, something that can be changed if things go wrong.

I think major businesses (think Amazon, AOL) would be willing to spend some of
their money on such a corporation.

I think the council is the ideal body to start the process of incorporation. I
would be willing to donate some of my personal funds for the initial cost of
incorporation if the council were the group who led the process.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com