Re: [spf-discuss] Incorporate?

2005-09-08 13:48:57
On 9/7/05, Jonathan Gardner <jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> wrote:

We must incorporate as a non-profit in the United States.

IANAL (first of all), but I will add my 2-cents. If you *do* create a
non-profit corporation, make sure it is a so-called 501(c)(3) non-profit, so
that you don't have to file tax returns with the IRS. Also, if you are a
501(c)(3), other 501(c)(3) corporations can give you money (and you can in
turn give money to other 501(c)(3)'s). If some "person" wants to give money
to a 501(c)(3) corporation, it is also easier for her to deduct that
donation when she files her income tax.

That said, I tried to create 501(c)(3) awhile back, but the IRS didn't grant
it tax-exempt status, so I dissolved the corporation. It was *lots* of work,
and I probably won't try it again.

There are lots of books on how to create 501(c)(3) non-profits floating
around, if you want to know more.

Finally, let me re-state that I am not a lawyer (IANAL), and I have no
interest whatever in participating in creating an SPF non-profit. (I'm about
as neutral on the issue as they come, though.)

--
Morris Inouye
morrisinouye(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com