Re: [spf-discuss] Incorporate?

2005-09-07 23:19:37
In <200509071340(_dot_)45537(_dot_)jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> Jonathan
Gardner <jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> writes:

We must incorporate as a non-profit in the United States.

Jonathan:

If I recall correctly, back when the SPF Council was initially being
formed, you also thought that the SPF Council should create a set of
bylaws and constitution and such.  I'm not sure if you have changed
your mind on this, or if I'm miss-remembering, but in any case I think
the idea of forming a formal organization runs along the same lines.

I think that the informal organization we have right now has worked
reasonably well.  It is certainly not flawless, but I think most of
the problems we have run into are not due to the lack of a more formal
foundation, but rather a lack of manpower to do stuff.

I think that creating bylaws and a formal non-profit organization
would be a very large amount of work.  While I've never been directly
involved, I've seen others go through it and simply getting a rough
consensus on something like the bylaws will likely be as much work as
getting a rough consensus on the SPF I-D was.  Heck, I'm not sure how
easily it will be to even decide which country the organization should
be formed in.

I am not opposed to having a more formal organization created, but I
think that it will take several people stepping forward and
volunteering to do the work.

For the record, I am not going to volunteer.  If you, or others, are
interested, it would be best to step forward.

-wayne