Re: [spf-discuss] Incorporate?

2005-09-08 13:14:37
Graham,

Yours is a great question. I think the simplest answer might be that it is the most logical choice.

In the US one can register a corporation in any of the 50 states. Many companies often, however, chose to register themselves as Delaware corporations. I understand that a major part of the reason for doing this is the body of case law associated with Delaware corporations. Just so, perhaps because so many of the large early adopters are US based companies, having the organization established as a US based non-profit would make the most sense.

Answering your question directly, there is no reason why the non-profit must be based in the US, other than it is probably the most convenient choice.

Having said this, I suppose it is prudent to ask if you know of any other nation with a compelling advantage for establishing a non-profit outside the US?

Best,

Alan Maitland
WebMaster(_at_)Commerco(_dot_)Net
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/

At 11:23 AM 9/8/2005, Graham Murray wrote:
Jonathan Gardner <jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> writes:

> We must incorporate as a non-profit in the United States.

As SPF is an international project, is there any reason why the
incorporation has to be done in the United States?