Re: [spf-discuss] Re: solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-13 14:52:51
Frank Ellermann writes:
Dick St.Peters wrote:
I am *not* arguing that traditional forwarding should
continue unchanged.  I no longer do it myself.  I'm still a
forwarder, but I rewrite the MAILFROM using SRS.  I consider
this a violation of the RFCs

It's not, there always was 5.3.6(b).  It's nowhere required
that you MUST only modify the RCPT TO keeping the MAIL FROM.

5.3.6(b) is for cases where bounces should not be sent to the
originator but to a mailing list administrator instead.  Forwarding
with SRS is saying "Send bounces back here and we'll forward them to
the original sender."  In essence it's substituting a reverse source
route for the perfectly-good direct route back to the sender, undoing
what 1123 did in deprecating source routes.

Absolutely nowhere does 5.3.6(a) suggest that it's about a
user who's ashamed of his aol-address and prefers a fancy
alumni.edu-alias forever.  1989 bandwidth was expensive.

Ashamed?  I don't think I've ever encountered anyone ashamed of an
email address.  AOL users, in particular, are often almost belligerant
in their view that AOL is "better."  And for most of them, they're
right - it's better for them.  It lets them do what they want without
having to do what they don't want - learn much about how the internet
works.

Yes, 1989 bandwidth was expensive, but more importantly the internet
was a very different 'place'.  It was an academic/military network,
and commercial use wasn't yet allowed, although it was beginning to
creep in.  There was no spam, and running an open relay was not only
the default, it was considered a public service.

1989 was also 6 years before the first Microsoft tcp/ip software for
desktop PCs.  The internet then was for highly-technical people - and,
for the most part, those working for organizations with deep pockets.
(That has no relevance to anything ... I'm just reminiscing ...)

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY