[spf-discuss] Re: solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-13 16:28:33
Dick St.Peters wrote:

5.3.6(b) is for cases where bounces should not be sent to
the originator but to a mailing list administrator instead.

Somebody who's interested, for a list that could be a script
unsubscribing bouncing addresses.  Or a special folder for
the admin, rarely / manually checked.  Based on these ideas
it can be almost everything, even a POP mailbox for a user:
"forwarding attempts to you that didn't make it, check this".

Forwarding with SRS is saying "Send bounces back here and
we'll forward them to the original sender."  In essence it's
substituting a reverse source route for the perfectly-good
direct route back to the sender, undoing what 1123 did in
deprecating source routes.

Yes, the users with a FAIL-policy (like me) have compelling
reasons why they don't want 5.3.6(a).  And your users have
reasons why they like it, and SRS is one way to placate both.

Absolutely nowhere does 5.3.6(a) suggest that it's about a
user who's ashamed of his aol-address and prefers a fancy
alumni.edu-alias forever.  1989 bandwidth was expensive.

Ashamed?  I don't think I've ever encountered anyone ashamed
of an email address.  AOL users, in particular, are often
almost belligerant in their view that AOL is "better."

Maybe a cultural thing, AOL addresses in Usenet are rare.  If
somebody says he's the CEO of "Innovative Software Worldwide",
then an address i-s-worldwide(_at_)t-online(_dot_)de would spoil it.
IMO a dubious concept, "my" address is certainly not better
(besides I also still have a t-online.de address ;-)

[historical part snipped - we completely agree]   Bye, Frank