Re: [spf-discuss] Re: solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-14 05:55:35
Frank Ellermann writes:
Dick St.Peters wrote:
Forwarding with SRS is saying "Send bounces back here and
we'll forward them to the original sender."  In essence it's
substituting a reverse source route for the perfectly-good
direct route back to the sender, undoing what 1123 did in
deprecating source routes.

Yes, the users with a FAIL-policy (like me) have compelling
reasons why they don't want 5.3.6(a).  And your users have
reasons why they like it, and SRS is one way to placate both.

I don't view it as "placating", just good service and good net
citizenship.  By forwarding with SRS I get mail to my users even if
they use an email account at an SPF-checking service/site, and if the
forwarded mail fails I get the bounces back to the sender.  By
rejecting on SPF fail, I don't forward forged mail "from" people like
you, so I don't get bounces to forward "back" to you either.

OTOH, when I reject forged mail, the site trying to send/relay the
forged mail here may send a bounce "back" to you.  This is probably
little better than having me forward a bounce to you would be, so your
"-all" may not help you as much as you'd like.

Ashamed?  I don't think I've ever encountered anyone ashamed
of an email address.  AOL users, in particular, are often
almost belligerant in their view that AOL is "better."

Maybe a cultural thing, AOL addresses in Usenet are rare.

I han't noticed - it's been nearly 20 years since I spent much time on
Usenet.  My last few visits to Usenet left me with the impression that
most of it is completely overrun with spam.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com