Re: [spf-discuss] solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-14 03:50:25
Mark wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Theo Schlossnagle [mailto:jesus(_at_)omniti(_dot_)com] Sent: maandag 12 september 2005 15:09
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] solving the forwarding problem
Almost all forwarding is done in /etc/aliases
style

I find this a rather bizarre statement. By far and large the vast majority
of forwarding is done over .forward files. Hardly any forwarding is done
in /etc/aliases, actually.

~/.forward and /etc/aliases is basically the same thing. Assume Theo meant the /etc/aliases type of mechanism, which includes .forward.

Moreover, /etc/aliases is grossly unsuited for forwarding even. For one,
because data in it is static; which means that each change of 'hard-coded'
forward addresses, for individual aliases, requires a rebuilt of the
entire alias db. An ISP setting up forwarding for their users, in that
fashion, should get his head examined.

Aliases of type :include: -- the ones you refer to, to create a poor man's
mailinglist -- are even less suited for the job even, as you'd then have to
'protect' the mailinglist alias from being targetted (and caused to be
expanded!) by unauthorized folks.

I'd put it differently, but I agree that /etc/aliases type forwarding should only be used for internal purposes within an organisation. Adresses wich will receive or send to the general public need a better mechanism, such as a proper mailing-list. Mailman is _very_ easy to set up. I haven't tried any others.
--
Håkon Alstadheim   +47 74 82 60 27
7510 Skatval