RE: [spf-discuss] solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-14 14:32:55
Mark writes:
-----Original Message-----
From: Theo Schlossnagle [mailto:jesus(_at_)omniti(_dot_)com]
Almost all forwarding is done in /etc/aliases
style

I find this a rather bizarre statement. By far and large the vast majority
of forwarding is done over .forward files. Hardly any forwarding is done
in /etc/aliases, actually.

I don't find it at all bizarre ... I do all my forwarding using
aliases rather than .forward files.  I learned the hard way many years
ago not to rely on .forward files in NFS-mounted user directories.

Moreover, /etc/aliases is grossly unsuited for forwarding even. For one,
because data in it is static; which means that each change of 'hard-coded'
forward addresses, for individual aliases, requires a rebuilt of the
entire alias db.

That "entire" alias db is rebuilt by sendmail every time it starts up
anyway.  Unless you have a humongous number of aliases this is a
non-issue.

 An ISP setting up forwarding for their users, in that
fashion, should get his head examined.

I guess I should get my head examined then, but somehow I don't think
that's necessary, not for this reason at least.  I've been an ISP
using aliases for forwarding for 11 years, and I don't see any reason
to change.  One big advantage to using aliases is that the "user" part
of a forwarded address doesn't have to be an actual user.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com