[spf-discuss] Re: solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-12 13:46:58
Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

I argue that SPF isn't so valuable unless it is ubiquitous.

I still settle for "ubiquitous among spammers" as good enough.

And the SPF concept is very simple, when you mumbled something
about not confusing receivers = users with receivers = admins
it was immediately clear what you meant:

   A   ->   B   ->   C
   a(_at_)A      a(_at_)B      a(_at_)C  three admins, don't know each other
   u(_at_)A                    user @A (me) sending to users @B / @C
   u(_at_)A ->   u(_at_)B           user @B gets MAIL FROM me (u(_at_)A), okay
   u(_at_)A ---------->   u(_at_)C  user @C gets MAIL FROM me, also okay
   u(_at_)A ->   f(_at_)B ->   f(_at_)C  f(_at_)B forwards to C, potential
trouble
                          if both a(_at_)B and a(_at_)C don't know this
                          or ignore it, and C checks SPF

u(_at_)B and u(_at_)C are boring, that reduces the model to 5 actors,
the three admins, me as sender, and f(_at_)B, the forwarding user.

Plus an attacker X flooding B and C with mails claiming to
be from u(_at_)A, but that's a lie.  Without that attacker X the
model would make no sense.
                          Bye, Frank