Re: [spf-discuss] solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-13 13:26:15
Stuart D. Gathman writes:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

circumstances.  Recipients are not always the ones configuring aliases
that send mail to them.  Others may do so legitimately as well.  Many

Baloney.  Authorized (as in requested) forwarding is one thing.  But someone
deciding to shovel all email my way that is sent to some address (that I did
not set up) without permission, is extremely rude, at best, or more likely
just
spam.

The world is not binary with only two possible cases.  There's an
entire spectrum of possibilities between the two extremes you cite.

To give one example of an in-between case, I handle the domain email
for a non-profit organization that elects new officers each year, so
once each year I get a request to change the forwardings of addresses
like president(_at_)domain and secretary@ and treasurer(_at_)(_dot_)  As best I
can
tell, my contact in this organization is the only person in it
computer savvy enough to know that a "server" is a computer, not an
ISP, and it's almost certain that the officers have no idea how it
happens that mail to their role addreses begins showing up in their
favorite email accounts.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters(_at_)NetHeaven(_dot_)com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY