Re: [spf-discuss] solving the forwarding problem

2005-09-13 13:07:59
On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:38:03PM -0400, Dick St.Peters wrote:

I claim there is no fundamental obstacle keeping domain owners from
communicating with all their correspondents to determine what
forwarders need to be listed in their domains' SPF records.  That is
not rocket science either.

That doesn't make sense, since as a general rule forwarders shouldn't,
IMHO, be listed in domain owners' SPF records to begin with, as
forwarding is a receiver policy issue, not a sender policy issue.

But receivers who tell their ISP to enable SPF for them via some email
settings web page would generally benefit from being able to list their
forwarders, so that they could better benefit from SPF's anti-forgery
protections.

I'm not entirely un-serious either.  As a receiver I check SPF, and I
reject on -all.  If that causes a problem with legitimate mail, I tell
both sender and (potential) recipient that I'm just doing what the
domain owner's policy says and that the sender needs to get the policy
fixed.

I think you have made a semantic error.

The domain owner's policy says:  "My domain sends mail from X and Y, but
not Z."

You as an MTA operator apparently have a policy of only accepting mail
that conforms to the sending domain's policy, without exception and
without regard to the recipients' wishes.

Thus the policy you are following is your own, not the purported sending
domain's.

So far my users have proven far more tolerant of losing legitimate
mail coming from a source not allowed by the sending domain's policy
than they are of losing it because the source is on an anti-spam
blocklist.

That's interesting.  Thank you.

--
Mark Shewmaker