Re: [spf-discuss] DKIM Reuse of SPF RR Type

2005-11-16 12:40:35

There was recently a long thread on the DKIM mailing list about DKIM use of
TXT versus a dedicated RR type.  It started here:

http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2005q4/001355.html

and allong the way, Frank made an interesting suggestion:

http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2005q4/001417.html
This is, BTW, the sort of thing that I think should be decided within the SPF
community by the council after discussion here.  So, please discuss....

It would be ok to use Type99 for policy records (SSP in DKIM) but I think
those records would need to be modified to be "SPF-like" at least at the
start, i.e. preferably start with v=SSP1 or similar.

I do not think its good idea to reuse type99 for public key records,
although for testing-only it maybe ok (and personally I don't think we
should put such large records in dns in the first place), but for
testing you can use TXT too. For something like this separate binary record would be better.

But I have SERIOUS doubt that DKIM people want to mix with SPF - some
of their key crowd view SPF as evil and others as competitor. They also seem to be interested in fast deployment and reuse of TXT and
type99 after all is not supported....

---
William Leibzon
Elan Networks