[spf-discuss] DKIM Reuse of SPF RR Type

2005-11-16 12:24:03
There was recently a long thread on the DKIM mailing list about DKIM use of
TXT versus a dedicated RR type.  It started here:

http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2005q4/001355.html

and allong the way, Frank made an interesting suggestion:

http://mipassoc.org/pipermail/ietf-dkim/2005q4/001417.html

How about DKIM using Type 99 instead of waiting for it's own record type to
get established by the IANA?  As I understand it there is no risk of
collision due to where DKIM puts it's records.

Now there is an ongoing debate (that won't be settled for some time) about
whether or not DKIM will just stick with TXT or in the end be forced to a
dedicated record type, so no final decisions could be made now, but I think
it might make sense for SPF to support this:

For SPF, it increases the incentive for DNS vendors to support Type 99.

For DKIM, it lets them get on with it early.  It gives them more chance to
experiment with how to deal with multiple record types (we couldn't actually
try it until after the IESG had approved the draft).

The only downside I can see is that it might have a negative impact on
wildcard SPF records for domains that do both SPF and DKIM.

This is, BTW, the sort of thing that I think should be decided within the SPF
community by the council after discussion here.  So, please discuss....

Scott K