Re: [spf-discuss] SPF problem with pobox.com that I don't understand

2005-12-27 16:44:46
Ralf Doeblitz wrote:
--On Montag, Dezember 26, 2005 01:58:29 -0800 David Gravereaux
<davygrvy(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi,

First, I love SPF.  It works great for catching and discarding forgeries
that are common place these days with spammers.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/spf.ch?server=davygrvy%40pobox.com&ip=192.1
68.0.1

The first string is right, but the second is not.  My custom string is
"v=spf1 include:freenode.net -all".  I don't where/how the tester is
finding "v=spf1 ?all".  I used to get 'fail', now it returns 'NEUTRAL'.
 Pobox's SPF implementation has been broken for at least a month.

[doeblitz(_at_)pts/7:1007] ~ % dig davygrvy._at_.pobox.com._spf.pobox.com TXT
;; ANSWER SECTION:
davygrvy._at_.pobox.com._spf.pobox.com. 60 IN TXT "v=spf1 ?all"

Maybe POBOX tries to avoid the non-existant freenode.net-SPF-RR, I got
no matching records for TXT or SPF queries.

Ralf Döblitz

Thanks Ralf,

You got me pointing in the right direction.  It is, in fact, a pobox.com
problem.  Their DNS entry is just plain wrong and not what I set it to
be in the pobox config.

You'd think that Meng Wong's company could have gotten their own
implementation correct.