Re: [spf-discuss] Re: OT: Reply-To

2006-01-27 04:25:14

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Frank Ellermann wrote:

william(at)elan.net wrote:

they still are not producing RFC-compliant List-ID....

RfC 4021 proposes to check out RfC 2919 for List-ID.
RfC 2919 proposes to replace the "@" by a dot, oops.

Well, at least there's some near miss pseudo-List-ID.

As far as I'm concerned they could ditch the List-ID
and Reply-To using a "proper" (proposed in RfC 2369):

Using List-Post instead of Reply-To is indeed appropriate.
However there are mail lists where user is not expected to
post back to the list and identifying those lists is still
necessary, so List-Post can not be used as a replacement
for List-Id.

BTW - I think gmane is improperly inserting "Lines"
header field which is not supposed to be used
for email message header

Probably it uses the original INN procedure on the
side of submitted articles.  When USEFOR manages to
_publish_ an RfC deprecating "Lines" I might bother
Lars with that.

Gmane should recognize which posts going from gmane will be
sent to email list and which ones to newsgroup.

Until then match "Lines" with <optional-field> in
RfC 2822 section 3.6.8, it's not illegal.

In theory no new header field is illegal as it can be considered
<optional-field>. However this really exist as a way to introduce
new header fields without having to depreciate RFC2822. The system now
is that all actively used header fields must be registered with IANA:
 http://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/perm-headers.html
and its possible to register header field as one for use in email header,
mime or httpd (and similar will soon exist for usenet if I'm not
mistaken). Additionally the header fields can be regstered as being
standard, provisional or historic and "Lines" clearly belongs to
historic use with usenet - but it does not belong to email.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks