[spf-discuss] Re: http://senderid.espcoalition.org/

2006-02-04 04:48:20
Craig Whitmore wrote:

SPF-Record-Classic: v=spf1 ip4:219.88.242.0/27 -all
SPF-Record-MFROM Scope: v=spf1 ip4:219.88.242.0/27 -all
[...]
SPF-Method Result: pass(spam.co.nz:
[...]
SenderID-MFROM-Method Result: pass(spam.co.nz:
[...]

As I only put a spf2.0/pra it should NOT check for the
SenderID MFROM at all.  Am I correct?

For a test server what they do is IMO acceptable.  In practice
it's of course unnecessary to test the same v=spf1 twice with
the 'mail from' identity.  Apparently they forgot to test HELO
or didn't tell you what the result was.

If you publish an explicit spf2-0/mfrom in addition to v=spf1
and they still use only the latter twice it would be wrong.

| Most senders use the same domains in both and therefore
| should publish SPF-Records in version 1 format only.

Hopefully this abuse will be submitted to the IAB in an appeal
within the next 80 hours.  The fix recommended by the IESG (add
two dummy 'spf2.0/pra ?all' records) just reiterates what the
spf2.0 spec. incorrectly recommends, the real fix is to remove
four letters in conflict with v=spf1 from the spf2.0 spec.

                              Bye, Frank