Re: [spf-discuss] Re: setting up your own email server

2006-03-06 09:18:27
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006,  wrote:

I am running an email server using surgemail.  Check out their website at
http://www.surgemail.com .

This is an industrial-strength email server that is easy to configure.  It
runs on Windowx as well as Unix.

Sounds good.

I tried for 6 months to get qmail (a free email server) to work right and was
never successful.  At that point I switched to Surgemail.  Surgemail does
support SPF.

"Free" as in freedom email servers are essential.  That freedom means
that you can buy a commercial packaged product if you just want it
to work, or tinker when you need features not supported by the
commercial versions, or are poor but have lots of time.  It also means that
you are not as locked in to a vendor (there is still a learning curve and
value add features involved in a switch), so that there is more competition.

I am very happy using sendmail because of its very simple and
flexible milter API for tinkering with email policies (see my posts here).
Sendmail Inc offers a commercial package for sendmail (as do others).

(The part I hate about sendmail is the "cf" language.)

Is surgemail based on "free" as in freedom software?