Re: [spf-discuss] Question about redirect syntax

2006-03-15 15:22:37
On 03/15/2006 12:39, Kurt Andersen wrote:
Scott and I have been discussing a question about the syntax for
redirect in SPF.

Agilent Technologies has a large number of domains (gTLDs and ccTLDs)
and subdomains which we have just published SPF records for. In doing
so, we utilized the "rooted" format:

agilent.com.   TXT   "v=spf1 redirect=%{d}.d.spf.agilent.com."

This is causing problems with Scott's validation tool, but not with
the tool on DNSStuff or with the Mail::SPF::Query package.

Scott wrote to me:
The way I read the ABNF in the spec:
http://new.openspf.org/blobs/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02.html#anchor42

domain-end       = ( "." toplabel ) / macro-expand toplabel
= ALPHA / ALPHA *[ alphanum / "-" ] alphanum ; LDH rule (See
[RFC3696])

the spec doesn't allow for the dot on the end.

Is this an intended departure from standard DNS syntax explained in
RFC 1034 section 3.1??

Since my validation tool uses pySPF, as I see it, this is either a M::S::Q bug
or a pySPF bug.  I'll be offline for a while after tonight, so you all fight
it out and I'll find out which when I get back...

Scott K