[spf-discuss] Re: Question about redirect syntax

2006-03-15 16:07:14

On 2006-03-15 13:30, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Kurt Andersen wrote:

Scott wrote to me:
The way I read the ABNF in the spec:
http://new.openspf.org/blobs/draft-schlitt-spf-classic-02.html#anchor42

domain-end       = ( "." toplabel ) / macro-expand toplabel
= ALPHA / ALPHA *[ alphanum / "-" ] alphanum ; LDH rule (See
[RFC3696])

the spec doesn't allow for the dot on the end.
Is this an intended departure from standard DNS syntax explained
in RFC 1034 section 3.1??

Yes.  Actually, the domain MUST be a FQDN ala SMTP.  In particular,
 relative names are NOT allowed.  E.g. :

example.com IN SPF "v=spf1 a:mail -all"

Gives a PermError, because "mail" is not a FQDN.  The above should
probably be:

example.com IN SPF "v=spf1 a:mail.example.com -all"
But according to RFC 1034, an FQDN includes an implicit '.' at the end
of the name. Putting a '.' at the end explicitly defines the name as
an FQDN rather than leaving it implied. Actually, the RFC which is
cited (3696) says:
. . .The DNS <http://www.bind9.net/rfc> specification also permits
a trailing period to be used to denote the root, e.g., "a.b.c" and
"a.b.c." are equivalent, but the latter is more explicit and is
required to be accepted by applications.  This convention is
especially important when a TLD name is being referred to directly.

We can certainly change our records, although this seems like a
logical gap in the specification to me. Perhaps SMTP has always had an
implicit gap in handling rooted domain names that only starts showing
up when DNS and SMTP become even more tightly intertwined with systems
like SPF.

Do you perchance have an RFC to justify the SPF ABNF? Some quick
informal tests that I have run with postfix, qmail and sendmail
indicate that they all work just fine with rooted names as, per
RFC3696, they should.

Otherwise, perhaps this is an edit that should be added to the spec
before it is finalized?

- --Kurt