Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF causes mor problems than it solves

2006-05-23 15:09:30
On Tue, 23 May 2006, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw that vikwei(_at_)gmx(_dot_)at would write:

since a few days some of my e-mail providers have started to use SPF. This
causes a hell of a lot of work for me as a non spammer and honest user and
delays emails. Up to now a few clicks a day took care of the spam which made
it to my mailboxes. Now my mail practically breaks down. I use provider A
for
the ADSL-connection, providers B,C,D,E with different e-mail addresses for
different purposes and could send with different addresses for different
purposes through the SMTP-server of my ADSL-provider. Many years everything
ran fine, now that f........SPF screws my mail up and causes work work
work.....  Thumbs down for SPF

If you don't own those domains, but have permission to use them, then
contact the domain owner and remind them to add your IPs - or provide
you with a relay.

If you are talking about receiving, rather than sending mail, then it sounds
like your e-mail provider A screwed up.  Perhaps you are forwarding mail
from providers B,C,D,E to provider A?  Provider A should *not* be rejecting
email based on SPF results until you provide them with a list of
your forwarders (they should just add a Received-SPF header).  If they are,
then you need to tell them to stop.  If they won't stop (and don't provide you
with a way to list your forwarders), and you don't want to ditch them, then you
need to convince providers B,C,D,E to use SRS to work around the
brain damage in provider A.  This is not a problem with SPF, but with
wrong headed implementation on the part of A.

Here is description of proper SPF checking practice for an MTA operator (email
provider):

http://new.openspf.org/Best_Practices/Forwarding