Re: [spf-discuss] NEUTRAL vs NONE for HELO

2006-06-21 19:47:03
In <200606212205(_dot_)36207(_dot_)scott(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> Scott
Kitterman <scott(_at_)kitterman(_dot_)com> writes:

Actually, if you look at RFC 4408, I do not believe that it advises
rejecting messages anywhere.  The rejection is actually based on
local policy.

RFC4408 doesn't "RECOMMEND" (in the RFC2119 sense) rejecting anywhere.
It does, however kind of suggest that rejecting on Fail is an
appropriate option, and for TempError, that a SMTP 451 (tempfail) code
be used.  On SoftFail, it explicitly says that the MTA "SHOULD NOT
reject the message based solely on this result".

So, reading between the lines, I think it is reasonable for people to
expect that only SPF Fail could directly cause a message to be
rejected.

-wayne