[spf-discuss] Contact page requests going to SPF-discuss

2006-06-21 19:38:51
In
<e0cc4f950606211404p83f3000pfb3beea37721726f(_at_)mail(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com>
"Mark Wolk" <markwolk(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

Huh?! - I am extremely surprised to find this as a thread of
spf-discuss. I have sent the original message through the form at
http://new.openspf.org/Contact , NOT as a post to spf-discuss. That
page mentions: "You can also contact us directly about your questions
using the form below, especially when there is a need for privacy
(...)". May I suggest publishing my enquiry in a thread on the
internet (with  my email addresses) is not precisely private.

Sending stuff from the "Contact" page to spf-discuss is something
that is relatively new, and I confess I'm not 100% comfortable with
it.

Please note that on the "Contact" page, there is an option for
Confidentiality and that you *must* explicitly choose how you want
your message to be treated.

Publicly discussing things has the advantage that lots of
knowledgeable people will see it and you have a much better chance of
getting a correct response.  The downside is, as you mention, that
there is a loss in privacy.

I'd like to know what other people think about this.

In the mean time, I've update the web page from:

   Contacting us directly

   You can also contact us directly about your questions using the form
   below, especially when there is a need for privacy, or if your concern
   is something other than support. Your message will be entered in our
   ticket system and will be handled by a team of volunteers, who will
   get back to you as quickly as they can.

to:

   Contacting us directly

   You can also contact us directly about your questions using the
   form below and your message will be directed the the appropriate
   team of volunteers, who will get back to you as quickly as they
   can.  Support Requests will be entered in our automated problem
   ticket system, while other requests will be held and handled on a
   case-by-case basis which may be much slower.

I am also concerned that the "Confidential" option *just* adds the
following note before sending it off:

  | Confidential! Please do not discuss this issue publicly without
  | anonymizing sensitive information!

Depending on the Topic, it may be sent to either spf-council (which
will require a moderator to deal with), spf-webmaster (which may be
posted automatically, I'm not sure), or the SPF RT system (which I
think is also automatically handed off to all people how have
volunteered to handle support requests.

Also, the http://new.openspf.org/auth/Support page directs people to
the Contact page with the text:

   You can submit a question to our volunteer help team and they will
   get back to you as quickly as they can. In general, there are more
   people available to help on the spf-help mailing list (see above),
   so if you need a quick answer, that's a better, but more public
   avenue.

This seems to imply more confidentiality than what is currently given.

Again, I would like to know how the wider SPF community thinks we
should handle this.  Be aware that the number of active volunteers is
shrinking.  SPF is no longer the, new hot developing technology.  We
have moved into maintenance and that isn't anywhere near as
interesting to volunteers.  Suggestions that require lots of work from
only a few people is not, IMHO, a workable solution.

-wayne