Re: [spf-discuss] SPF vs DomainKeys.

2006-06-27 00:12:53
Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 23:37 -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
[...]
A disadvantage of SPF is that correctly checking SPF requires knowing
all forwarders you have set up.  This can be a problem for many
non-technical end-users, and for email providers with non-technical
users.

And it is a problem if $ISP doesn't provide means (or users do not use
it - for whatever reason) to send email through $ISP MTAs.
At the moment there are voices saying that "SPF breaks legal email" -
just because this works now.

Well, SPF gives you a choice: either you do nothing with SPF and
have your domain available for forgery or you do put an SPF record
on your domain and redefine what 'legal email' means to you.

Of course, it _is_ a serious problem when $ISP sets an ISP record on
your domain but does not give you a way to send out mail in
compliance with that record (or worse, doesn't even tell you about
the SPF record and its implications). This is not a problem with
SPF, it is a problem with dumb $ISP[]. One that we should put more
emphasis on I think in our PR, since it is still too common a problem.

Gr,

Koen