Re: [spf-discuss] Hotmail and ptr in SPF records

2006-07-18 14:44:03
Andy Bakun <spf2(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com> writes:

While trying to figure out why our company's newsletter is ending up in
the junkmail of folders of hotmail users, we received this from someone
at MSN:

        ----------
        FROM MSN

        You will want to add the relevant IP addresses, and you will
        want to
        remove the PTR reference in your SPF.  While this may change in
        the
        future, Hotmail does not currently support PTR references in SPF
        records, and so will be unable to process your SPF correctly.

While I know that ptr records are suggested against, and the fact that
the SPF record in question is being used to check against SenderID
headers (ignore the first sentence, the second one is the meat of the
issue), is the fact that hotmail effectively claims
non-compliant/partial SPF checking a known issue?

If anything, I'm just getting the word out that if you're having
problems with delivery with hotmail/MSN, it may be and may continue to
be a problem with Microsoft's half-baked implementation of their own
protocol.

Hmm... interesting.  I've basically given up on emailing my friends
with hotmail accounts.  No matter what I do I end up in their junk
folders.  Even if they click "not spam" a dozen times, I still go into
their spam folders the next time around.  My mail usually goes out
from IP address 171.66.3.10 and has SPF record:

        v=spf1 ip4:171.66.3.0/24 ptr:scs.stanford.edu ptr:scs.cs.nyu.edu
ip4:66.92.14.60/31 -all

Do you think the mere *presence* of a ptr record could be causing the
problem, even a matching ip4: appears before any ptr: in the SPF
record?  I'd love to find a solution to this problem, but there's not
much of a way to appeal these kinds of decisions when it's just
personal mail.

David