Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Hotmail and ptr in SPF records

2006-07-29 07:20:44
Mark,

Thanks for your continued efforts to resolve this issue.  Hotmail has always
been an elusive mail service and even using SPF records and making certain
we have all of our PTR records set correctly, we occasionally receive
message denied errors when some of our customers are properly configured on
their mail client and their SPF and PTR records are correctly setup on our
mail servers.

We're running some fairly strict SPF testing on our incoming servers and,
yes, my junk mail filters DID catch the V***** word you used and place your
message into my SPAM mailbox while at the same time passing the SPF test for
the SPF discussion list and inserting an X header into the message header.
Here's the actual header from the SPF list message:

As a further evidence of your suspicion of Hotmail's broken SFP testing, can
you attempt to send a message directly to me from your Hotmail account?
Send it from your NEW Hotmail account to
bbarnes(_at_)chicagonettech(_dot_)com(_dot_)

You should also send me a note, perhaps via a response to the list, so, just
in case my SPF checking correctly catches your Hotmail message, I have a
notification of your sending the message. I will then check the mail server
logs to see if our anti-spam SPF checking and either ignoring Hotmail's SPF
record, immediately deleting the message (done only on a total SPF fail) or
passing the message and inserting a different X-HEADER into the message
header.

I will then post the results of the test to both to you, and to this list,
so this can be further investigated and, even though they will probably be
ignored, the response of the interrogatory posted back to Microsoft, and
Hotmail, in an effort that they might correct the situation . . .  Hey, we
can always be hopeful . . .

Bruce Barnes
ChicagoNetTech
Chicago IL