Re: [spf-discuss] Hotmail and ptr in SPF records

2006-07-18 17:11:06
On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 14:42 -0700, David Mazieres wrote:
I wrote <spf2(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com>:
If anything, I'm just getting the word out that if you're having
problems with delivery with hotmail/MSN, it may be and may continue to
be a problem with Microsoft's half-baked implementation of their own
protocol.

Hmm... interesting.  I've basically given up on emailing my friends
with hotmail accounts.  No matter what I do I end up in their junk
folders.  Even if they click "not spam" a dozen times, I still go into
their spam folders the next time around.  My mail usually goes out
from IP address 171.66.3.10 and has SPF record:

        v=spf1 ip4:171.66.3.0/24 ptr:scs.stanford.edu ptr:scs.cs.nyu.edu
ip4:66.92.14.60/31 -all

Do you think the mere *presence* of a ptr record could be causing the
problem, even a matching ip4: appears before any ptr: in the SPF
record?

I do not know for sure, but I do suspect this is the case.

I'd love to find a solution to this problem, but there's not
much of a way to appeal these kinds of decisions when it's just
personal mail.

Well, there doesn't appear to be much of a way to appeal these kinds of
decisions when it's business related email either (although, on the
other hand, "business email" is a loaded term that has been co-oped by
spammers (witness the "it's not spam if you have a prior business
relationship" logic), but I digress), since the drive is to "do whatever
Microsoft says", and spending time pointing out that the big guy is the
one that is doing it wrong usually ends up being a losing battle
(although I'm trying).

I really can't believe that Microsoft openly admits that their
SPF/SenderID evaluator isn't complete and that you shouldn't use ptr in
the SPF records, and that it apparently fails with defaulting to
classifying as junkmail.

--
Andy Bakun <spf2(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com>