Re: [spf-discuss] Re: Hotmail and ptr in SPF records

2006-07-29 10:49:21
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006, Mark Wolk wrote:

But what baffles me is that, when sending messages that way, I
seemingly bypass all the world's SPF filters. I have sent a test
message using as "From" address a domain that has the SPF string
"v=spf1 -all" (meaning that no mail should ever be sent from that
domain). Well, my mail arrived perfectly in Hotmail's inbox, but also
in other mail services inboxes, and (when available in the headers) it
had SPF_PASS.

The other headers were:
From: "Mark Wolk" <info(_at_)my_domain(_dot_)com>

and when the receiver replies to that mail, his / her reply is
properly addressed to info(_at_)my_domain(_dot_)com (and not to
my_id(_at_)msn(_dot_)com)

v=spf1 applies to Return-Path (and HELO, which is not shown in headers)
only.  It applies to RFC2281.  The Return-Path header field is a copy of
rfc2821 MAILFROM.  v=spf1 does *not* apply to RFC2822 header fields such
as "From:".

See http://new.openspf.org/SPF_vs_Sender_ID