Re: [spf-discuss] Hotmail and ptr in SPF records

2006-07-18 18:05:54
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:10:24 -0500 Andy Bakun
<spf2(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com>
wrote:
On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 14:42 -0700, David Mazieres wrote:
I wrote <spf2(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com>:
If anything, I'm just getting the word out that if you're having
problems with delivery with hotmail/MSN, it may be and may continue to
be a problem with Microsoft's half-baked implementation of their own
protocol.

Hmm... interesting.  I've basically given up on emailing my friends
with hotmail accounts.  No matter what I do I end up in their junk
folders.  Even if they click "not spam" a dozen times, I still go into
their spam folders the next time around.  My mail usually goes out
from IP address 171.66.3.10 and has SPF record:

        v=spf1 ip4:171.66.3.0/24 ptr:scs.stanford.edu ptr:scs.cs.nyu.edu
ip4:66.92.14.60/31
-all

Do you think the mere *presence* of a ptr record could be causing the
problem, even a matching ip4: appears before any ptr: in the SPF
record?

I do not know for sure, but I do suspect this is the case.

I'd love to find a solution to this problem, but there's not
much of a way to appeal these kinds of decisions when it's just
personal mail.

Well, there doesn't appear to be much of a way to appeal these kinds of
decisions when it's business related email either (although, on the
other hand, "business email" is a loaded term that has been co-oped by
spammers (witness the "it's not spam if you have a prior business
relationship" logic), but I digress), since the drive is to "do whatever
Microsoft says", and spending time pointing out that the big guy is the
one that is doing it wrong usually ends up being a losing battle
(although I'm trying).

I really can't believe that Microsoft openly admits that their
SPF/SenderID evaluator isn't complete and that you shouldn't use ptr in
the SPF records, and that it apparently fails with defaulting to
classifying as junkmail.

Does it make any more believable if I remind you that an RFC 4408 compliant
library will permerror on the microsoft.com SPF record?

Scott K