[spf-discuss] Re: Fixing Forwarding with RPF

2006-11-12 15:04:22
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

But he is the *receiving* (RCPT TO) domain, not the sending domain.

I guess Ralf got that nuance.  Thinking a bit longer about it, for a
simple forwarder it should be something like:

That's at the top of the DATA as seen by the next hop, and the by ...
might even match the EHLO ... of this forwarder.  Digging through To:
and Cc: addresses is madness, we can dismiss that.  If there's some
kind of relevant receiver policy it's at the "for" example.com

The RCPT TO at this time is some cheap(_at_)provider(_dot_)example mailbox

The forwarder can have more convoluted setups, e.g. MX and mailout as
separate hops:

Now the cheap provider has to see that the top timestamp line isn't
what it wants - no rocket science, the @provider.example is obvious,
it will again find the RPF of "for" example.com

But why on earth would it believe a single word of it ?  This is most
likely some spammer claiming wild and wonderful things, nothing of it
related to the poor sender or the final receiver
cheap(_at_)provider(_dot_)example

Frank