Re: [spf-discuss] Re: RPF explanation and examples

2006-11-16 09:17:22
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

This means forwarders should start using SRS (or similar). The hosts
being forwarded to will be able to do SPF.

I keep wishing (as I did years ago) that we could just resurrect
reverse path for MAIL FROM from RFC821.  SRS is pretty ugly by
comparison.  If an MTA was to forward mail with an RFC821 style
reverse path, would subsequent MTAs send DSNs back to the right place
with reverse path intact?  Or would the reverse path get elided?
Note that various popular but braindead MTAs already elide information from the
localpart of MAIL FROM (smash case, remove perfectly legal chars they don't
like such as '+', etc).