[spf-discuss] SPF TXT Questions re Effectiveness

2006-11-19 19:01:17
Earlier this month I had an e-mail dialogue with Alex re my
    specific issues of the TXT statement for the zone file for
    my domain hitz.org

    The result was "v=spf1 include:outbound.mailhop.org -all"
    as I use mailhop.org for all my SMTP chores.  Authentication
    is required for SMTP usage.

    Part of the dialogue with Alex follows.  I typed the ">>>"
    lines, he responded (in part) with the ">>" lines.

[hitz(_at_)hitz(_dot_)org - Thu Nov 02 14:58:24 2006]:

    I am still receiving "bounced" e-mail messages which are sent
    <various alpha strings>@hitz.org so that would indicate
    someone is still able to send out spam using my domain, yes?
    Should this still be happening?

I have seen reports that this will, eventually, go away because your
domain isn't interesting to spammers anymore when you publish an SPF
record.

    As can be seen, the question and its answer occurred on
    November 2nd.  I am STILL receiving bounced e-mail
    notifications sent to me with what appears to be machine
    genererated four and five character alpha user names (random,
    senseless names) @hitz.org  My "catch-all" account receives
    them.

    The quantity of these bounced e-mails is as plentiful as
    always indicating to me that something is not working.
    They do not appear to be going away.

    This process is quite difficult for me to get my hands
    (and mind) around to understand just what is going on.

    Can someone help, please?

    Thanks,

    George