RE: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF TXT Questions re Effectiveness

2006-12-02 22:04:51
-----Original Message-----
From: Alex van den Bogaerdt
[mailto:alex(_at_)ergens(_dot_)op(_dot_)het(_dot_)net]
Sent: zondag 3 december 2006 5:36
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Re: SPF TXT Questions re Effectiveness

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 04:03:13AM +0000, Mark wrote:

On a whole, how can we even argue about SPF-checks and
reputation? The entire purpose of SPF is about reputation:
to protect the "good" one of the domain owner. That repution,
as anywhere else in the world, is only as good as what he's
sending. That's a sound principle, always, with or
without SPF.

Indeed. And, like in the rest of the world, you can't get rid of
every and all forgeries.  But you can try, try hard, or not try
hard enough.

If currency is often forged, you'd be a fool to accept it. It has
a bad reputation. But if currency is not often forged, you can
accept it, even though forgeries do exist. Complete forgery-free
exists only in utopia.

Domain based reputation schemes will take this into account. Something
like "OK, we've seen a million mail from this domain, and five of it
was spam. That's probably been a temporary problem, generally speaking
you can trust mail from them".

Indeed. And the ironic beauty of it all is, that reputation services have
themselves reputation, too. :) Something like:

"OK, we've queried for a million domains to them, and only five of them
were false positives. That's probably been a temporary problem, generally
speaking you can trust their service."

Or:

"This is the umptiest time we've seen a false positive from them; I've had
it with this reputation service, and I'll stop querying them."

So, in that regard, luckily I think reputation services can be expected to
behave in a reasonably fashion.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---