Re: [spf-discuss] Useful SPF results

2006-12-05 10:46:41
At 12:19 PM 12/5/2006 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 12:00, David MacQuigg wrote:

> ...  Email
> programs like Eudora do not allow setting a Reply-To: address.
>
> As I understand it, the Reply-To address was introduced only recently, and
> that is why everyone uses the Return Address for this function.  Also, the
> relationship between the Reply-To Address and the Return Address is not
> well defined.  We could insist that our clients use the Reply-To address,
> and leave their Return Address as is, but I fear it will be a long time
> before we see this flexibility universally available in all email programs.
>
> I would be interested to know what other email programs allow setting
> separate Reply-To and Return Addresses.

It's there in my Kmail and my Thunderbird.  IIRC, Outlook has it too (It's
been a year and a half since I used Outlook regularly).

I think Eudora is the exception rather than the rule.

It depends on your definition of recent.  RFC 822 (which was published in
1982) has it:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0822.txt

Interesting! I wonder how things got so screwed up. Maybe its just that for so many years there was no need to distinguish the two addresses, and the misuse of the Return Address has become entrenched. I'm still not comfortable with forcing our subscribers to change (although that is certainly easier than forcing their email services to change).

Eudora is a big one. If they will change their wicked ways, I'll get serious about looking at what remains, and if we can just ignore them and publish -all.

-- Dave