Re: [spf-discuss] Useful SPF results

2006-12-05 10:47:17
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 12:00, David MacQuigg wrote:

...  Email
programs like Eudora do not allow setting a Reply-To: address.

As I understand it, the Reply-To address was introduced only recently, and
that is why everyone uses the Return Address for this function.  Also, the
relationship between the Reply-To Address and the Return Address is not
well defined.  We could insist that our clients use the Reply-To address,
and leave their Return Address as is, but I fear it will be a long time
before we see this flexibility universally available in all email programs.

I would be interested to know what other email programs allow setting
separate Reply-To and Return Addresses.

It's there in my Kmail and my Thunderbird.  IIRC, Outlook has it too (It's
been a year and a half since I used Outlook regularly).

I think Eudora is the exception rather than the rule.

It depends on your definition of recent.  RFC 822 (which was published in
1982) has it:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0822.txt

Scott K