[spf-discuss] Verisign and SPF

2006-12-07 12:57:47
I see that networksolutions.com still has no SPF record.  Remember when
they had the bright idea of returning the IP of their Ad server for
non-existent domains?  (Effectively eliminating NXDOMAIN.) The main public
argument against it was that MTAs depended on NXDOMAIN to reject spam from
non-existent domains.

Has it occurred to Verisign, I wonder, that if SPF were universal enough
that we could reject on SPF NONE/NEUTRAL, that argument would no longer
stand?  Perhaps they could get on the SPF bandwagon in the hopes of
bringing back advertising for invalid domains in the future ...

Another way to mitigate the problems: return a well known IP that never
sends mail for the Ad server.  Or give the Ad server(s) a well known
domain and publish an SPF record for them.  MTAs could reject all email
from that well known domain.

Instead of eliminating NXDOMAIN, they could also advertise a well known domain
that web browsers could optionally redirect to when they receive NXDOMAIN.  Web
browsers might be willing to do that if there was enough value added -
like help correcting spelling, etc, in addition to the ads.

If they were nice and worked with the community, they might actually get some
system (not necessarily the above) accepted to let them do the Ad
for invalid domain service.