[spf-discuss] Re: [spf-devel] Re: Another test case for the test suite...

2007-01-09 21:04:58
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Julian Mehnle wrote:

| If at least one record is returned by the SPF-type look-up, no
| TXT-type look-up is performed (so nothing can go wrong with the
| TXT-type look-up in the first place).
|
| However, if the SPF-type look-up succeeds and returns 0 records, and
| the following TXT-type look-up errors or times out, then Mail::SPF
| throws a TempError even though it shouldn't.

I fixed this tiny bug already.  Because it is so tiny, I won't make
another release immediately just for that.

While I'm sure this is what the spec requires, I'm no longer sure this is a
sensible behavior.  Which means that there is probably a bug in the spec.

Any comments?

Not knowing the details of the implementation, nor the spec all that well,
I have little right to an opinion.  However, in principle, it is
very important to be able to tell the difference between an error
caused by data that was returned, and an error caused by a failure to
return a response.

Does the spec remain true to that idea?

As an example, I look up an A record for a domain name.  I need to know
the difference between a response that says "no data" (I contacted a
server and there is no A rec
for that name) and an error that says "no response".  (For some reason, I
could not get a response)

The former tends to be "perm" and the latter tends to be "temp".  SPF
should follow this "principle of least surprise".

?

-dgl-