Re: [spf-discuss] Re: op= question

2007-01-14 13:10:09
In <200701141211(_dot_)28415(_dot_)julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> Julian Mehnle
<julian(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net> writes:

The answer very obviously is that options need to specify their semantics
with regard to "include:" and "redirect=" explicitly.

I completely agree.  Also, you need to specify things like whether the
modifier can appear mutliple times and if it is positional or not.  If
it is position, does it modify all following operations/mechanism,
does it modify just following mechanism, or does it modify just the
preceeding mechanism.  Note that SPFv2 defines some of these
semantics, so compatiblity would be a plus, nowever since no positional
modifiers have ever been defined, I guess this isn't a huge deal.

Frank Ellermann wrote:
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

As I understand it the syntax is:
        "op" "="  name *( "," name )

Actually a dot and no comma.  Trying to reconstruct this, no
other modifier has a comma, they are all <domain-spec>, and
that's dot-separated labels.

I strongly disagree,  The choice of defining modifiers as accepting
<macro-string> rather than <domain-spec> was very intentional.
Commas are fine, as are doing things like adding /24 or whatever.

I would recommend not using a semicolon and other characters that bind
seems to like to escape since I think they cause confusion.  DK/DKIM
suffer slightly from this confusion already.

Should new modifiers define their own behaviour wrt redirect=, follow
exp= or not ?  Your proposal would run into subtle problems for cases
like this:

a.example SPF "v=spf1 op=helo redirect=b.example"
b.example SPF "v=spf1 op=nohelo"

The draft says "helo" and "nohelo" MUST NOT be used together, they are
mutually exclusive.  Let's stick to the exp= model, modifiers are local
(per record) and don't cross redirect=.

No.  Unless you are willing to needlessly limit the potential semantics of
new options, this should not be globally defined for all options.

Again, I completely agree.

-wayne