[spf-discuss] Re: [spf-devel] Re: Calling BNF lawyers

2007-01-17 18:14:43
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Julian Mehnle wrote:

OMG!  You must be kidding!  If we followed this interpretation, we could
throw away the grammar definitions for all the known modifiers, because
they'd be simply irrelevant.

Are you really saying that "unknown-modifier" should have been defined as:

  unknown-modifier      = unknown-modifier-name "=" macro-string
  unknown-modifier-name = ( "a" / "b" / "c" / "d" ) name-tail /

No. It just needs a note that says

    unknown-modifier      = name "=" macro-string
        ; where name is not any known modifier name

You don't have to spell out such things in detail, but you do have
to say something.