Re: [spf-discuss] Need some help understanding this situation

2007-06-13 00:47:54
Graham Beneke wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
This list does not seem very active, but I'll try it anyway -

You would be better off asking your question on [spf-help] and you
will probably get a quicker response.

Thanks Graham - I didn't know that one.

we are an email filtering service so we "sit" in between our customer
and people that want to send them email.  (we obviously use MX
redirection).

Are you handling all of your clients mail? Or are there other routes
to the customers mail server that would not travel through your
filtering service?

No, we will be handling all of the customers email.

The customers mailserver is smart hosted by a provider, nothing
unusual about it.  The question is - is it _right_ to plainly reject
the email from "adjoli.de" when the spf evaluation says "Neutral" ?

No this is not correct. But this action would indicate that the
customers server is running some sort of filtering of its own which i
would think completely unnecessary if your filtering service is
running effectively.

I completely agree, but I have very little influence on it.  The
customers mailserver is hosted <somewhere>, and these are the guys
doing the SPF-check.  We've suggested to the customer that they ask
their hoster to switch off the SPF-check for the domains in question,
but who knows - maybe they're unable to switch it off on a per-domain
basis.

Anyway, thanks for confirming my thinking.  It's the first time I've
come across a provider doing rejects when the SPF evaluation was
neutral ...

/Per Jessen, Zürich